Dietary: Vegan | Soy Free
Yield: 2 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Ready in: 45 mins
Sourced and adapted from: ohsheglows.com
- olive oil, as needed
- 2 red onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeños, seeded (if desired) and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can tomatoes, diced
- 125 g | 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chilli powder, ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt, ground cayenne pepper, hot sauce, to taste
- spring/green onions, chopped (optional topping)
- coriander/cilantro (optional topping)
- TO GO WITH
- Homemade vegan sour cream (See recipe ‘So Easy Sour Cream’)
- Homemade guacamole (See recipe ‘Guacamole de Nopalita’)
STEP 1: In a large pot, saute the onion and the garlic in the oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and stir. Add the jalapeños, celery, and bell pepper and saute for another 5-7 minutes or so, until softened.
STEP 2: Now add the can of tomatoes, broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high. Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne, and hot sauce. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10-15 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
STEP 3: Serve with vegan sour cream, chopped green onion, and cilantro leaves, if desired.
Dietary: Vegan | Sugar-free
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 20 mins |Cooking time: 25 mins |Ready in: 45 mins
Sourced and adapted from: allrecipes.com
450 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
15 g vegan butter
60 ml almond milk
120 g shredded vegan cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion
5 stalks celery
450 g frozen mixed peas and carrots
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
450 g vegan mince
salt, pepper and herbs, to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain, and return to pan.
- While potatoes are boiling, heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, frozen peas, tomato and vegan mince until softened (10 minutes). Stir in the herb seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Whilst the mix is simmering, add soy milk and butter to cooked potatoes, and whip until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the shepherds pie mixture into the bottom of a baking dish, top with the mashed potatoes, smoothing them into an even layer. Sprinkle the potatoes with the soy cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven (180°C) until the cheese is melted and slightly browned and the casserole is hot, about 20 minutes.
Serves: 8 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 45 mins | Ready in: 60 mins
- 1 eggplant/aubergine, cubed
- 250 g | 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 250 g | 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tsp rosemary, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 250 g | 1 cup vegetable broth
- black pepper, to taste
- 250 g | 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped and divided for garnish
- whole grain pasta
STEP 1: Preheat oven at 180°C. Toss cubed eggplant in olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt, and place on a baking sheet in an single even layer. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing once or twice until eggplant is lightly browned on all sides.
STEP 2: Bring cranberry juice to a simmer in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook , stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and very tender and most of the wine has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add eggplant, mushrooms and rosemary and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
STEP 3: Add tomatoes, broth and pepper and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in almond milk and 2 tablespoons chopped basil. To serve, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain thoroughly. Serve sauce over pasta and garnish with remaining basil.