Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 35 mins | Ready in: 45 mins
Salt and pepper
1 shallot, 2 tbsp finely chopped
1 scallion/shallot, thinly sliced
2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 tsp shoyu
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce
4 ciabatta burger rolls
15 oz black-eyed peas
- Heat sesame oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a small bowl and wipe the pan clean with paper towels; set aside.
- Place the black-eyed peas in a large bowl and mash with the back of a spoon or a potato masher, leaving a few of the peas intact.
- Add the mushroom mixture, scallion, cilantro, tamari, and Tabasco and mix until combined. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, tamari, and Tabasco as needed. Using your hands, form the mixture into 4 (3-inch-wide) patties (about 1/3 cup each). Heat the remaining oil in the reserved frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the patties and fry until the outsides are browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve on toasted ciabatta or burger rolls with your favorite toppings.