Serves: 4-5 people
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp brown or black mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves, plus extra to serve, if you like
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 dried chillies, chopped
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 6 tomatoes, quartered
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Chop up eggplants, drizzle with oil and roast lightly in oven for 15- 20 mins.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan with the mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry for 30 secs until fragrant. Stir in the onions and continue cooking until they are softened and beginning to brown. Add the dried chillies and spices with a spoonful of the thick coconut milk from the top of the can, then fry for 1 min more. Add the remaining coconut milk, tomatoes and half a can of water. Simmer for 25-30 mins until thick and saucy.
- Stir in the chickpeas and aubergines. Continue simmering for 5 mins or so, until everything is hot and the aubergines are tender. Serve with rice or warm naan bread, scattered with a few extra curry leaves sizzled in a splash of oil, if you like.